Genius 3D Mammography Exam
How it Works
The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. So, instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with conventional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below. The Genius exam consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. More than 200 clinical studies have shown that by using this technology, doctors are able to screen for breast cancer with greater accuracy1-7*— which means better breast cancer detection and a reduced chance of being called back for additional screenings.1-6*
What to Expect During Your Exam
The process of a Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam is the same as your conventional 2D exam. The technologist will position you, compress your breast, and take images from different angles. There’s no additional compression required with the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam, and it only takes a few extra seconds for an exam, proven to be more accurate.1-6*
The technologist will view the images of your breasts at the computer workstation to ensure quality images have been captured for review. A radiologist will then examine the images and report results to either your physician or directly to you.
Learn more by watching the videos below.
Interview with Sheryl Crow
Genius 3D Mammography Overview
Reasons to Get Screened
- 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
- 8 out of 9 women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history
- But, with early detection, the five-year survival rate is almost 100%.10
1. FDA submissions P080003, P080003/S001, P080003/S004, P080003/S005 .
2. Results from Friedewald, SM, et al. “Breast cancer screening
using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography.” JAMA 311.24 (2014): 2499-2507; a multi-site (13), non-randomized, historical
control study of 454,000 screening mammograms investigating the initial impact the introduction of the Hologic Selenia Dimensions on
screening outcomes. Individual results may vary. The study found an average 41% (95% CI: 20-65%) increase and that 1.2 (95% CI: 0.8-1.6)
additional invasive breast cancers per 1000 screening exams were found in women receiving combined 2D FFDM and 3D™ mammograms
acquired with the Hologic 3D Mammography™ System versus women receiving 2D FFDM mammograms only.
3. Zuckerman SP, Conant
EF, Keller BM, et al. Implementation of Synthesized Two-dimensional Mammography in a Population-based Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
Screening Program. Radiology. 2016 Dec;281(3):730-736.
4. Skaane P, Bandos A, Eben EB et al. Two view digital breast tomosynthesis
screening with synthetically reconstructed projection images: comparison with digital breast tomosynthesis with full-field digital mammographic
images. Radiology. 2014 Jun;271(3):655-63.
5. Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M et al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D
mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based
prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
6. McDonald ES, Oustimov A, Weinstein SP et al. Effectiveness of Digital Breast
Tomosynthesis Compared With Digital Mammography: Outcomes Analysis From 3 Years of Breast Cancer Screening. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jun
7. Rafferty EA, Durand, MA, Conant EF, et al. Breast Cancer Screening Using Tomosynthesis and Digital Mammography in Dense
and Nondense Breasts. JAMA. 2016 Apr 26,:315(16):1784-6.
8. National cancer institute:http://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/risk-fact-sheet
9. US breast cancer statistics. Breastcancer.org.http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics. Accessed March 27, 2015.
10. American Cancer Society:http//www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breast-cancer-survival-by-stage
The Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY ™exam (a.k.a. Genius™ exam) is acquired on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system and consists of a 2D
and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. The Genius™
exam is only available on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system. Please consult your physician for a full list of benefits and risks associated
PP-01938 Rev. 002 (6/17) © 2017 Hologic, Inc. Hologic, 3D, 3D Mammography, Dimensions,
Genius, Selenia, The Science of Sure, and associated logos are trademarks and/or registered
trademarks of Hologic, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the US and/or other countries.